January 1, 2017 – June 30, 2017
Released: October 19, 2017
Updated: October 19, 2017
Snapchat Transparency Reports are released twice a year. These reports provide important insight into the volume and nature of governmental requests for Snapchatters' account information and other legal notifications.
Since November 15, 2015, our policy has been to notify Snapchatters when we receive legal process seeking their account information, with exceptions for cases where we are legally prohibited from doing so, or when we believe there are exceptional circumstances (like child exploitation or an imminent risk of death or bodily injury).
United States Criminal Legal Requests
Requests for User Information pursuant to U.S. legal process.
|Reporting Period||Requests||Account Identifiers||Percentage of requests where some data was produced|
|January 1, 2017—June 30, 2017||3,726||6,434||82%|
United States National Security Requests
Requests for User Information pursuant to national security legal process.
|National Security||Requests||Account Identifiers*|
|NSLs and FISA Orders/Directives||O-249||0-249|
International Government Information Requests
Requests for User Information from government entities outside the United States.
|Reporting Period||Emergency Requests||Account Identifiers for Emergency Requests||Identifiers for Emergency Requests Percentage of emergency requests where some data was produced||Other Information Requests||Account Identifiers for Other Requests||Percentage of other information request where some data was produced|
|January 1, 2017—June 30, 2017||123||142||68%||205||281||0%|
|United Arab Emirates||1||8||100%||0||N/A||N/A|
Governmental Content Removal Requests
This category identifies demands by a government entity to remove content that would otherwise be permissible under our Terms of Service or Community Guidelines.
|Reporting Period||Removal Requests||Percentage of requests where some content was removed|
|January 1, 2017 - June 30, 2017||0||N/A|
Copyrighted Content Takedown Notices (DMCA)
This category reflects any valid takedown notices we received under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
|Reporting Period||DMCA Takedown Notices||Percentage of requests where some content was removed|
|July 1, 2017 - December 31, 2017||50||40%|
|Reporting Period||DMCA Counter-Notices||Percentage of requests where some content was reinstated|
|January 1, 2017—June 30, 2017||0||N/A|
* “Account Identifiers” reflects the number of identifiers (e.g. username, email address, phone number, etc.) specified by law enforcement in legal process when requesting user information. Some legal process may include more than one identifier. In some instances, multiple identifiers may identify a single account. In instances where a single identifier is specified in multiple requests, each instance is included.
Transparency Report Archives
- July 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021
- January 1, 2021 - June 30, 2021
- July 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020
- January 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020
- July 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019
- January 1, 2019 - June 30, 2019
- July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018
- January 1, 2018 - June 30, 2018
- July 1, 2017 - December 31, 2017
- January 1, 2017 - June 30, 2017
- July 1, 2016 - December 31, 2016
- January 1, 2016 - June 30, 2016
- July 1, 2015 - December 31, 2015
- January 1, 2015 - June 30, 2015
- November 1, 2014 - February 28, 2015